Beginning in 2020, the USPTA launched Tennis Instructor, a certified membership category to take the place of the Recreational Coach category. The Tennis Instructor category is designed as a first step into a career as a tennis teacher, or for those who want to give back to the game by teaching part-time. Tennis Instructors will receive coverage under the USPTA's $6 million liability insurance policy for; a one-time application fee of $199, paying annual dues of just $215 and completion of certification. Fulfillment of Tennis Instructor certification includes viewing online courses, participation in Teaching Essentials 1 workshop, finishing safety courses and background screening and satisfactory completion of assessments.
*Currently, to become a Tennis Instructor, applicants must be at least 18 years old
*There is a $25 USTA operational fee to attend any Teaching Essentials 1 course.
*There is an additional $14.95 fee to complete the required CPR training.
Certified Tennis Instructor Applicants will complete a series of online education including the following:
Online Tennis Instructor Education Modules
- Welcome to the USPTA - 6 online courses
- CYT (Coach Youth Tennis) – 6 online course
- CF1 (Coaching Fundamentals 1) – 4 online course
- CF2 (Coaching Fundamentals 2) – 4 online course
- USTA Safe Play approval includes background check
- CPR/First Aid certification
Teaching Essentials Pre-Work - GPS For Beginner and Intermediate Players
- Tactical basics
- Stop/show/go - giving quality demonstrations
- Courts, balls, racquets, equipment
Teaching Essentials 1 Virtual Workshop - 2 Workshops x 4 Hours
- Coaching Concepts
- Concepts to Court